Saturday, February 11, 2012

C is for Cupid

Yep, I went there!! I am so not a fan of Valentine's Day (like since I was in middle school), but since it's the season, I thought I would take a look at the man with the wings and bow and arrow!
Cupid is the Roman God of desire (Cupido: Latin for desire), affection and erotic love. In legend Cupid is the son of Venus (goddess of hope) and Mars (god of war).
The story of  Cupid and Psyche: When Venus became jealous of the princess, Psyche, because Psyche was so loved by her subjects that they forgot to worship Venus, she ordered Cupid to shoot Psyche and make her fall in love with the most horrid thing possible. While he was sneaking into Psyche's room to shoot her, he accidentally scratched himself with the golden arrow and fell in love with her.
Cupid visited Psyche every night, but told her never to try to see him. She, in curiosity and spurred on by her sisters, who told her he was a monster, tried to look at him angering him so that he left.
Psyche looked all over the world for him, until Jupiter the leader of the gods, gave her the gift of immortality so that she could be with her beloved Cupid. Together they had a daughter. The name Psyche means "soul".

Well, I really don't have anything to say or add after that!

No comments:

Post a Comment