Sunday, February 19, 2012

D is for the Dagda

Ready for another Celtic deity? I know I am!! :) While I would love nothing better than to devote all of my honour to the Scottish deities (yes, I'm Scottish & more), I just don't find a whole lot of them on the internet :( 

The Dagda (DOY-dah)
Old Irish: Dag Dia; Modern Irish: Daghdha, name means Good God
The Dagda is the chief father God (also called Allfather) and spouse of Morrigan (Celtic triple aspect Goddess) and leader of the Tuatha de Danaan. He carried a club that could kill 9 men with one swipe and restore them with the handle of the same. The Dagda dispensed bounty from an enormous cauldron (similar to Zeus’ horn of plenty). He also had a harp that could extend seasons, as well as play music that would put people to sleep, make them grieve or laugh.
The Dagda was revered by Druid priests because he bestowed wisdom on those who wished to learn.

There doesn’t seem to be an awful lot of information on this father God. Being as how the Celts were worshiping these deities way before there was a written language, it’s really not all that surprising! 

I keep thinking these will get longer and more in depth. I always laugh at myself when I look at how short my "great ideas for the blog" end up being!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment