Sunday, January 22, 2012

Brighid

Irish goddess, whose name comes from the Celtic word, 'brig', meaning 'Exaulted One'. Brighid, along with her 2 sisters, also named Brighid, are a triple aspect goddess.
Brighid is the patron of bards and poets, as well as healers and magicians. She is also known as the keeper of the hearth. She was especially honoured when it came to divination and prophesy.
Her sanctuary in Kildare, Ireland, was maintained by priestesses who kept Her sacred flame alive. later her sanctuary became the home of St Brigid of Kildare, the Christian variant of Brighid. Today it is not an uncommon sight to see ribbons and other offerings tied to trees near wells as a petition to this healing goddess.
Similar to Brighid are the Roman goddess Minerva and the Greek goddess Athena. Brighid's counterpoint is Brigantia, a war-like figure from near Yorkshire, England.
It is said that to repeat the genealogy of Brighid, one will always be protected.


This is the genealogy of the holy maiden Bride,
Radiant flame of gold, noble foster mother of Christ,
Bride, daughter of Dugall the Brown,
Son of Aodh, son of Art, son of Conn,
Son of Crear, son of Cis, son of Carmac,
Son of Carruin.
Everyday and every night
That I say the genealogy of Bride,
I shall not be killed, I shall not be harried,
I shall not be put in a cell, I shall not be wounded,
Neither shall Christ leave me in unforgettfulness,
No fire, no sun, no moon shall burn me,
No lake, no water, nor sea shall drown me,
No arrow of faery, nor dart of fey shall wound me.
And I under the protection of my Holy Mary
And my gentle foster-mother is my beloved Bride.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Love Brighid! And your blogspot is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete